We made it to St. Thomas! - The Style Sisters

We made it to St. Thomas!

By The Style Sisters - Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We did not get on any more of our stand by flights so .......luckily my cute hubby has some frequent flyer miles and was able to use his points to get us from Atlanta to Miami and then to St. Thomas. We finally arrived last night around 9pm. Today we all went on this Virgin Island ECO Tour. Kayaking, snorkeling and a short hike. At first I was not too excited about this as my hubby was waking us all up early this morning and hurrying us all along through breakfast...."c'mon it is time to get going! Hurry hurry". All the time I was thinking.."Hey mister, we are on vacation!" but my son-in-law needed to get to the airport early this afternoon to fly back home today so it was understandable because we wanted him to be able to join us on this fun family activity.

Here we all are... standing on a small beach in St. Thomas looking out to St. John's Island.

The kayaking was awesome! Although....... my daughter Emily and I did have a little trouble steering our kayak and we ended up crashing into the other kayakers plus we also crashed into the bushes (or should I say the mangroves). Our guide taught us much about the mangroves and why they are so important ecologically and also why they are important to their economy. The mangroves are large rooted plants that help protect the shoreline and boats from Hurricaines. They also help protect new baby fish and in fact they call it a nursery for them. At the end of our tour our guide told us that we burned something like 700 calories!! Yeah for us!! After we kayaked to a small beach area we then donned on our snorkeling gear and began to look for amazing things in the water. Emily was a bit freaked out by having fish swimming so close to her in the water but finally overcame her fears and enjoyed the whole experience. It was a great day!

Here is a picture of a baracuda that we saw!









Sea Urchin that felt really prickly in your hand.Gigantic school of yellow striped fish!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. I am sooooo jealous!! You guys look like you're having a blast! Keep taking pictures so we can live vicariously through you!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my loves,
    Wow, you are always trying something new and wonderful. I could say I wish I were there but...you know, not in the water. I am so delighted that you are having such a great time. Love you bunches. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I need more updates and more pics!!! WISH WE WERE THERE TOO!!!!!!!!!! Hope you are having the time of your lives and getting really tan!!!
    Love, me

    ReplyDelete

Comments

google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0