ENTERTAINING ON A DIME - The Style Sisters

ENTERTAINING ON A DIME

By The Style Sisters - Tuesday, November 04, 2008

We had our Autumn dinner party/birthday party on Saturday night for our friends and we all had a wonderful time. The weather was absolutely perfect so I moved everything outside onto the patio overlooking the pool. The food all turned out amazing! Four of the women either had just celebrated their birthday or were about to so that turned our dinner party into a little birthday party as well. Pam brought an incredible spinach, tortellini soup with sausage that was to die for! Kerri brought a gorgeous big green salad with gobs of yummy things in it like Greek olives, capers, cheese, sun-dried tomatoes. Virginia brought her famous mini sized orange rolls that you just can't stop eating even after you have had dessert! Robin made roasted acorn squash that she made for the first time and it was delish! Judy made yummy fresh green beans sauteed in bacon and onions. Penny brought some sparkling apple juice to fill our goblets. I made the pork roast with carrots and I tried a new cake recipe ....chocolate pumpkin three layer cake with orange cream cheese frosting.
Virginia also brought the famous dessert "Better than Robert Redford dessert"! !
WE TRULY HAD ONE INCREDIBLE FEAST!
TABLESCAPE IDEAS
  • Use multicolored tablecloths and lay them on the table side to side instead of the regular way of front to back. Tablecloths were from Garden Ridge $7.99 each. I used four tablecloths. The brown fabric down the center of the table is actually lining fabric that I bought years ago from Walmart for $1.00 a yard. I have never even sewn up the edges.
  • Use a multitude of different colored napkins. (I used plaid, golden yellow, green and rust) Everything does not have to match. I just used what I had. The color palette of fall colors.

  • Use a variety of napkin ring holders and borrow some if you need to. I borrowed some from my friend Virginia.

  • Mix up your silverware. I used gold and silver silverware (every other place setting)

  • Use charger plates to create a color balance. (the large plastic plates that sit under the main dinner plate) I used red an gold ones (every other place setting) Garden Ridge $1.00 each

  • Green Dinner plates from Walmart purchased years ago for $1.00 each

    Leaf plates purchased from Walmart last year for $2.00 each

    Red and Green bowls purchased from Garden Ridge .50cents each. SCORE!!!


    Goblets purchased from Walmart last year $2.00 each.

    Centerpiece: I had a wire basket that I bought at a thrift store years ago and I lined it with burlap fabric. I then wadded up tissue paper and put that inside the burlap to allow the flowers to stick in there. I grabbed three silk bouquets of mum that I had in my kitchen and placed them in the basket. I then added a bunch of miniature pumpkins and placed them around the edges that I bought from the grocery store and stuck in some curly sticks to give it some oomph!

    You don't need a lot of money or fancy dishes to entertain. Use what you have, combine multiple colors, borrow things and most of all just have fun!

    Thanks to all my great friends for pitching in and cooking up all this delicious food it was a great night!


    • Share:

    You Might Also Like

    9 Comments

    1. Hi,

      Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself.

      I love your table scape ideas. I'm going to put most of them to work for my table. Thanks for all the great ideas.

      Off to read more of your blog.

      Hugs,
      Joanne

      ReplyDelete
    2. You have totally inspired me to have a party soon. Love all your bargain dishes.

      ReplyDelete
    3. lovely dinner party ! You have totally made me miss Garden ridge in a HUGE way. I LOVED that store when we lived in VA.

      ReplyDelete
    4. All I have to say is WOW!!!! It looks amazing! How fun that you did that with all the friends!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. This looks like so much fun - I love all the mismatched stuff. So pretty. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. What a beautiful table setting and party!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Beautiful table setting. I love all the wonderful colors.
      Lisa

      ReplyDelete
    8. Beautiful tablescape! Love mixing the different tablecloths! Centerpiece was just beautiful and it's looks like everyone had a wonderful time! :-) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog...I'll had you to my blog roll! Susan

      ReplyDelete
    9. What a crowd! And what a wonderful group and table. I love all the mix and match and everything looks so great together. It looks like a good time was had by all!

      ReplyDelete

    Comments

    google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0