BLACK IKEA SHELVING W/ BLACK AND WHITE DISHES - The Style Sisters

BLACK IKEA SHELVING W/ BLACK AND WHITE DISHES

By The Style Sisters - Thursday, June 05, 2008

I wanted a new hutch but they are just too expensive for me right now so when I was at Ikea the other day with my good friend Penny, we came upon this great looking black shelving unit for only $99.00 and I thought what a great deal! Penny and I brought it home. After my cute hubby put it together (in only an hour) I realized that my plates would slip off (because there is no plate holder in it) So..... I got out my hot (cool) glue gun and drew a line of glue in front of each of the plates and voila!! it holds them in place beautifully and the best part is.....you can just pull the glue strip right off if you decide to use the book shelf for books one day instead of dishes!


I then worked some magic and placed all my cute white and black and white dishes for display. I am so happy with how it all turned out. Next to the shelving unit are some clear vases hung from black wrought Iron holders and I simply put a big white fluffy Hydrangea in each one. I purchased these from a cool shop in St. George, Utah called Urban Renewal....most things in the shop are used as these were. Love Love Love that shop!

I am participating in Tablescapers Where do you Keep It

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

  1. I've been reading your blog but have yet to comment. I wanted to tell you though that I LOVE your Ikea shelf. I ooh'd and aah'd over that very shelf in the store. :o) Great idea with the glue gun. I'll have to remember that trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,
    Thank you for the nice comments. Ikea is so great and so reasonable on many of their furniture items I love that store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy SMOKES! Mom, that looks incredible! I love your red wall with it too. Ps. your blog makeover is looking really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this creative idea with the bead of glue laid down to hold your plates in place. Good thinking! I have Ikea in my post too. Come see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for coming and joining the party. What a great alternative to what you want, paticularly in these ecomonic times.

    Hope you'll join my new meme, "Summer Sundays". It's about whatever Sundays mean to YOU! I think it will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

    Love your shelf and what it's filled with. Hope to see you Sunday.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where there's a will, there's a way! Nice looking shelving for your pretty dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea. I've tried all sorts of things, but I never even thought about a strip of glue. Perfect. How clever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your black and white display! I am trying to find out the name of the black and white dishes you have that have words around the rim. Would you check the back (if you don't know off-hand) and e-mail me the name of the dishes? A friend has found a few at thrift stores, and I'd like to surprise her with some, but I don't know how to look for them until I know the name! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and I'd LOVE to know the name of your black and white dishes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and I'd LOVE to know the name of your black and white dishes, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments

google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0