I found this recipe on Love Bakes Good Cakes cooking blog you need to check out her AMAZING recipes!!
This is one recipe that will be made over and over!! The flavor and ease of making the soup is just awesome! The only things I did differently was I did not add Jalapeno, I used Chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and I used canned corn...I added that last because I do not like overcooked canned corn.
The second night I had this I added some left over chicken and corn chips on top...OH YESSS it was to die for!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: about 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut 1"
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded cut 1/2"
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic
- Cook about 8 minutes until onions are tender; stir occasionally
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper then reduce heat to medium
- Cover and cook for 8 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add stock, beans, tomatoes and bring to boil; stir occasionally and let simmer for 15 minutes then remove from heat
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Season with salt as desired
- If desired add shredded cheese, sour cream or more cilantro on top
Another yummy soup you might like is