Home tour of our new house! - The Style Sisters

Home tour of our new house!

By The Style Sisters - Monday, August 15, 2011


Here is the kitchen in our new house..pretty huh? hee hee I just wanted to show you the before picture first and then how it all came together.
All these dark cabinets...not my thing at all.
I love a white kitchen...light and bright! Sooo
Bring on the white paint!!!! We found this adorable Finnish man named Stig (through our fabulous new next door neighbors) who has been painting for 50 years!! He is in his eighties and still works hard...he loves it. He and is grandson painted all our kitchen cabinets white (akimina from Kwal paint) and we love
how it all turned out!
The pot rack hanging above the kitchen island (which is a must for me) is made from a rod iron wall hanging decorative piece that I found at Tai Pan in Salt Lake city.
We hung it from the ceiling using chain link and large hooks and then added pot rack hooks to hang the pots from.
Saves so much room in the kitchen cupboards and I love how it looks.
Here is another picture of the cabinets before they were painted and before the
appliances were installed.

Right across from the kitchen is our breakfast nook and it is quite roomy.....perfect for our new dining room table and chairs that we found at a consignment shop in Durrango, Colorado.
My amazing husband worked his buns off painting, sanding, painting and sanding! Our daughter helped us put the new seat covers on each chair.
Once the table and chairs were painted we changed out the seat covers from the yucky Naugahyde to this darling cottage looking fabric from Joann fabrics. I found the fabric in the outdoor fabric section for 50% off. It works perfectly for seat covers because it is already stain resistant and water resistant.
NO STAINS! I will post a DIY on this project later.
We love the look of distressed furniture and so my husband worked really hard to create the effect by hand sanding the furniture first, brushing on the white paint, hand sanding between each coat then using and electric sander to get it super smooth and then finally finishing it all with a coat of polyurethane to protect it.
It turned out so nice!!! It can get nicked up (by my grandkids) and it won't hurt it a bit...it just adds to the look.
Here is the kitchen nook all completed. The little black chandelier came from my mom's consignment shop ..... I think I paid $15.00 for it!! The black shelving unit is from Ikea...remember it in my red kitchen...Here
Up next the Dining Room!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

  1. Looks great. I was so happy to get rid of my brown cabinets so I know how you feel.
    I am only 5 feet tall though so a pot rack is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pattern you used on the chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous transformation in the kitchen. I love the white cabinets. They are fabulous and the dining table and chairs look amazing. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice transformation! I love your chair fabric. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cabinets I am thinking of doing the same thing in my kitchen if I can get Chris on board

    Vicki k

    ReplyDelete
  6. So that's what you've been up to! Fabulous outcome...can just imagine the wonders you'll cook up in your lovely new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah I am so with you on the white thing! Love the new look!
    Daisy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! The kitchen cabinets turned out great! I did like the white, but the dark does look better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, indeed! I love what you did with the chairs. Your kitchen looks so amazing. I can imagine how beautiful the rest of your new house looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen looks SO fresh and organized! It looked livelier after Stig painted the cabinets white, and the chairs and table complement it very well. So, how about your dining room? What did you do to make it look lively as your kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the changes! The white paint definitely gave your kitchen a more vibrant ambiance. With Stig’s dexterity in painting and your creative idea to design the room, you were able to create a beautiful kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You’re right. The white paint looks bright and inviting. It was way better than the brown paint that seemed dull and strict. Your new house looks lovely. Are you renovating the entire structure, or some parts of the house only? Keep us posted with your upcoming endeavors concerning the renovation and redesigning of your new house.

    ReplyDelete

Comments

google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0