Empty Nester - The Style Sisters

Empty Nester

By The Style Sisters - Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Well...we are in the process of taking our last child to college and then it is official...we will be empty nesters...I have such mixed feelings about this chapter in my life. I am sad because I will miss all the noise that teenagers bring to the house...all the fun late nights talking about boys, school and friends. I will miss all her many messes in the house and in her room. It will really be so empty in our home. After being with her for 18 years now it will be weird not having her around daily. It is so strange to spend most of your life as a parent nurturing her, helping her, being so much a part of her life and then poof...she is out the door to start her life on her own. I have been asking myself many questions...have I prepared her well enough? How is she going to stand on her own? Will she make good friends? What have I really taught her? Our sweet Emily is such an amazing young women and I feel so blessed to be her mom. I know we will continue to to talk or text often and I know she will still need me...but it is still hard to let your little bird fly the nest. I know she will grow and experience fun new things and realize what life is all about. I am very excited for her.

As for me...I am excited to try some new things....I want to start a cooking club, maybe teach sewing lessons in my home, take an art class, continue to travel as often as I can and maybe redo some things in our home. It is kind of an exciting feeling to know I have nothing holding me back right now...my time ......is my time and I am going to choose develop some hidden talents and enjoy life and make a difference in others lives as much as I can.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

  1. What a lovely heartfelt post dear.
    I have a few years until this happens
    to me but I know, I will miss my now
    teen so much. ♥ Jewelgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an exciting time for both of you. Sounds like you are on the right track. I know you are going to be fine. Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow." I remember the day my son left for college and we were in that state of "where do I go from here". It will be a wonderful time for you I am sure of re-inventing life.

    I especially enjoyed those years he was in college as we did those of our daughter. We visited him frequently at the University of Missouri. Football games, Greek Week and other events are still wonderful memories.

    Now our children have children of their own and this is yet another stage. I have loved each and everyone.

    God bless you and your children. Children are such a blessing. Enjoy!

    Have a wonderful evening.

    Charla

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post!!! This is always a time of mixed emotions and feelings!!! You captured it perfectly!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh-I know my time will be here in no time.

    I am starting a NEW Mr. Linky party. It will begin on Aug 10th so everyone will have a week and a half to think about their first post. I have a poll up for votes on which button should be the new button. The "party" is called The Knock Off Knock Out-where THRIFTY meets creative sensation. Go over and learn more about the new weekly event and I would appreciate if you would cast your vote and HELP pick the new button design and its the last week for the July GIVE-A-Way, if you would like to be a part of that event..
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be the first member of your cooking club and your first student for your sewing class. Can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have some awesome plans...you go sister!

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I am right there with you...our daughter leaves in a few days and I am just melting inside. She is my joy and love and I can't imagine the house without her...the noise I will miss the most. Just like you...listening to the giggles and the stories...oh my.
    I feel for you.
    Blessings,
    Debbie
    PS. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are entering a new, exciting time of your life! The best is yet to come,friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for all your sweet comments. I really appreciate them. You guys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new blogger. The first thing I noticed about your post was the centering and the colored words and phrases. I may have to "borrow" that froml you. :) Blessings to you and your family as you venture into a new season. It'll be great. I will visit you blog again to enjoy your creativity and to see what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your brother is doing good.

    Sorry-I've been out of commission -- terribly sick for over a week-- but do you want to know how I cut my grocery bill in half? go to Cut your grocery bills now plus I have a give a way and a new Mr Linky party starting tomorrow but Mr Linky will be up by 8 p.m. tonight

    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Comments

google.com, pub-6147156586187059, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0